Friday, November 14, 2008

Lame Post Friday: Inaugural Edition: Bite one nail? They all must go.

Photo found here.

+



Drawing found here.
Oh my God, you have no idea of the photos that come up when you search "Hand Photos" or "Finger Nails"...hello? I didn't search dismemberment!! This was the best I could do.

=

POST.


Okay, so I know I've had other lame-o posts up on previous Fridays, but this time it's in a more official capacity.

I am a nail biter. But not like a big one. I bite my nails when I'm nervous or when I'm watching Storm Chasers (or a particularly gripping episode of Shear Genius).

Every month, I attempt to stop. I usually make it about 2 weeks in and then BOOM, the Storm Chasers actually SEE A TORNADO and I'm all nibble-nibble.

And if one happens to break or snag? It's over. They are all hitting the fan. I'm an all or nothing kind of gal with nails. I'm fascinated/disgusted by women who hold onto like 3 out of 10 really long nails and file/buff the hell out of those and then the remaining 7 looks like hobo nails. Hello? Give up the ghost. Start over. Be a quitter!!! You can do it!!!

Like I'm accountable for this whole NaBloPoMo thing (Still haven't linked any posts to the actual NaBloPoMo --but see? All or nothing! NONE of the posts are linked!), I figured I could give the old "quit biting my damn nails" another college try for the month of December. I'll call it a National Don't Bite Your Nails Month...or NaDoBiteMo. Come January first, I will post a Before and After of my hands. I really think I'll be able to do this! I'll just have to keep my hands busy by forking in mouthfuls of cheesecake during episodes of Storm Chasers or something. Gee, how will I ever cope? It'll be sort of a preemptive New Years' resolution...but with cheesecake. Cool.

13 comments:

TMC said...

It's got nothing to do with anything but I was eating cheesecake while I read your post and BOOM, you said 'cheesecake.' How 'bout that?

Nate Ring said...

you should set up a tripod, put a sheet of paper down, trace your hand and then take a picture every day of your hand over the trace. You can do a time lapse video! :-D.

I'm also a nail biter, but its because I'm anxiety ridden like a mo-fo. But I'm one of those that will nail-bite any of my nails (including my toes...gross, i know, but I must!!!!). Anyway, I've finally stopped biting my thumbs, and I'm working on not biting my index fingers. Slowly but surely I'll stop biting my hands then I'll work on my feet.

Now the word of caution from your resident psychologist-in-training. When extinguishing a habitual behavior, controling the root cause is most effective for a complete behavioral change. If for instance you bite your nails in stressful and anxious situations (I know thats every day life) you may train yourself to stop biting your nails, but you also have a highly increased risk of developing another habbit to fill the "anxiety/stress" reliever (e.g., biting). You may find yourself twirling your hair (which leads to hairloss), tapping your foot, eating the sides of your mouth, chewing your toung, picking at your hands, persistant position adjustments, etc.

Anyway, in a nutshell what I'm advising is when you do this develop an appropriate coping method for when you are stressed, and doing that. What you will find is you will bite less--because you've created a replacement behavior.

Good luck!!!!

Sra said...

That tornado / lightning photo is brilliant.

I can totally relate to this, as I've been a nail biter longer than I can remember. (It was really bad... when I was a young kid I even bit my toenails. I know.) So I actually did quit biting my nails for several years. Made it a goal in 9th grade, quit by 10th, and then didn't seriously bite them again until I started dating E nearly a year after college. But I always kept them short during that time, because long nails bother me, dig into my hands while I write, click weird on the keyboard, and get in the way of playing the guitar. I also went through the motions of putting my nails to my mouth and feeling them with my teeth. That's a habit I seriously can't break, I will always have to feel my nails with my teeth. But once you start back up again, you pretty much can't stop. At least I can't. It takes too much effort and consciousness to do it. And I have to use a strict filing regimen to keep it up. Too much of a hassle.

I'm with you on the weirdo freak ladies who hold onto the few of their freakishly and disgustingly long fingernails even though the other have broken off. All or nothing indeed.

Sra said...

Oh, and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who went for the toenails. I also chew my lower lip quite a bit, a habit I picked up in high school because I played the saxophone and doing so kind of tears up that area anyway (you have to cover your bottom teeth with your lower lip to play reed instruments).

My dentist tells me that I also grind my teeth. I accept all these bad habits as not being as bad as other habits I could have. So I'm leaving them alone. Besides, by the time I've worn my teeth down and need dentures, they'll have perfected the grow new teeth method, and I'll just grow a new set.

Hillary said...

Good luck! I can't wait to see the before / after shots. Don't cheat by wearing gloves for the entire month of December. We will know.

jess said...

i bit my nails hopelessly for years. when i had braces, i found that i couldn't bite, so that cured me for a spell.

now you know why i get my nails done. i still want to bite them. (not the fake nails, but my real ones...) keeping them done helps.

witchypoo said...

I can't bring myself to actually put my hands in my mouth to bite my nails, but I do even them up when one breaks.
Word verification: mutfu
Is that shorthand?

Hyphen Mama said...

I've been blessed with insanely sensitive teeth. Just the THOUGHT of biting a fingernail (or toe nail... gag, gag, vomit) makes my teeth hurt. The entire time I read this post... my face was puckered in an "owie, owie, owie" contortion.

Luckily, I've made up for the lack of nail biting with other INSANE habits that probably would earn me a one way trip to a psych ward.

Marissa said...

I'm not a nail biter, but I bite the skin around my nails. I think that's even worse (and it looks sooo gross!).

Meg said...

Hey, can I be part of that???

Meg said...

I just had to post again.
Captcha: NORMA!!!

Ree said...

Mine just BREAK if I so much as look at them. ;-b

Sassy Britches said...

EW! I thought I was the only one in the world whose pet peeve is people who have different lengths of nails and don't seem to notice or care! Thank god I'm not alone!