Thursday, June 12, 2008

This one's for Lucy.


Lucy

We had to put our dog, Lucy, down. She was 14 and the most incredible dog you can imagine. She was wonderful. I'm really going to miss her. Today, we brought her ashes home and they sent this poem along.

REMEMBER

As much as I loved the life we had and all the times we played,

I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade.

I saw a wonderous image then of a place that's trouble-free

Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.


I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, and on the other side

Were meadows rich and beautiful--lush and green and wide!

And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see

Were animals of every sort as healthy as could be!

My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new

And I wanted to go run with them, but I had something left to do.


I needed to reach out to you, to tell you I'm alright

This place is truly wonderful, then a bright Glow pierced the night.

'Twas the Glow of many Candles shining bright and strong and bold

And I knew then that it held your love in its brilliant shades of gold.


For although we may not be together in the way we used to be

We are still connected by a cord no eye can see.

So whenever you need to find me, we're never far apart

If you look beyond the Rainbow and listen with your heart.

I will never forget you.

21 comments:

witchypoo said...

That was lovely. I'm sorry you have lost your beloved Lucy. She looks a gentle, loving soul.

The Over-Thinker said...

Witchy: She sure was. Our other dog, Maggie, is a bit lost without her. We all are.

Meg said...

I'm sorry to hear about your puppy :(

Hillary said...

This is horrible. I am so sorry for your loss (and poor Maggie's loss.)

*hugs*

Donna said...

sorry for your loss, a pet is such a big part of the family.

Bridge said...

As someone who lost a pet this year... I am sorry.

Ilina said...

Awwwww...I am tearing up. I'm so sorry for you. She looks like a doll.

I put my cat to sleep a couple years ago. As a memento we got a pewter angel kitty ornament (not as cheesy as it sounds) for our Christmas tree and we put it at the top by the star every year. Corny, right?

Sra said...

I'm sorry about Lucy. It's always hard to lose a pet.

The Over-Thinker said...

Meg, Hills & Donna:
Thank you so much for your kind words. They sure help.

Bridge: You know, I think the first time I visited your site/first time I left a comment was when you'd posted about you bird. Thank you for your kind words, too.

Iliana: Your memento is absolutely not corny. It's really sweet---and it's something I'm going to do, too. We've decided to put her ashes in a completely sealed "treat jar" and keep it in the kitchen. Treats were her most favorite thing in the world and she was always in the kitchen waiting for us to drop something :) Thank you for your thoughts--I really appreciate it.

The Over-Thinker said...

Sra: Thank you--yeah, this is really tough.

Hyphen Mama said...

Oh darn it! That is so SO hard. I already am not looking forward to losing any of my 4 furry babies, ranging in ages 7-10. It'll leave a hole in my heart. I'm sorry for your furry loss.

KathyLikesPink said...

OH, I'm so very sorry. Pets have such special places in our hearts.

Sparkliesunshine said...

Oooh. :( What a lovely poem. I am really sorry to hear about this. I am a huge animal person so I know how big a loss this can be. I am glad to know that she got to spend a beautiful full life with you.

Mrs. Wilson said...

Aw! Sorry to hear about your dog! A sweet poem though!

Natalie said...

i'm so sorry. we are going to be facing that same thing in a few months with our cats. brian says we absolutely cannot take our cats to the states with us...i'm mostly in agreement...but then that leaves deciding what to do with them. if we can't find anyone to take them i am not sure what we will do. we can't just put them out on the street...there are wild dogs here who would eat them. sigh...

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Lucy. such a beautiful dog!!

The poem was beautiful...

I am sorry.

Angella said...

So, so sorry for your loss.

:(

i am the diva said...

*hugs hugs hugs*

The Over-Thinker said...

Hyphen, Kathy & Sparklie: Many thanks for such kind words. You are so sweet.

Mrs. Wilson: Thanks :) And I love the poem, too. Lucy and Maggies vet is absolutely top notch.

Natalie: Thank you. I don't think I could just get rid of my pets. Even if it was for good reason. I'll send lots of good thoughts your way for the move. Could any of your kids' friends' families adopt them?

Sarah: Thank you for your nice words. Yeah--wasn't Lucy a pretty girl? (and she new it, too) :)

Angella: Thanks so much :)

Diva: *ThankyouThankyouThankyou* That sure helps :)

friyet said...

i'm so sorry, she looked like such a sweety... i am sure you will miss her, but will have memories to bring you comfort in the future...

Marissa said...

I am so, so, so sorry about your loss. I know how devastating the loss of a pet is, and my heart just goes out to you. Thinking of you.